1 lb ground buffalo (turkey, chicken, beef, etc. can be substituted)
1 large onion
3 garlic cloves, minced (I usually add a lot more because we love it)
1 large eggplant, cubed
1 26 oz container chopped or crushed tomatoes (I use the Pomi brand chopped tomatoes that come in a box)
1 green pepper
1 red pepper
1/2 c almond meal/almond flour
1 tsp basil
1/4 c grated parmesan cheese (I usually use a bit more)
1. Preheat oven 350 degrees. Spray or oil a 9×13 pan & large saucepan with non-stick cooking spray or olive oil.
2. Heat saucepan, add meat, onion & garlic-stir until meat is browned & onion soft. 5-6 min
3. Add eggplant, tomatoes, peppers, almond meal & basil, bring to a boil, and stir as needed
4. Transfer to 9×13 pan, Cover & cook 45-50 min.
5. Uncover & sprinkle with cheese. Bake until cheese is lightly browned-about 15 min. Let stand 5 min before serving
NOTE: the original recipe called for 3/4 c of bread crumbs, so I substitute the almond meal. It doesn’t set up as well as a regular “casserole” but tastes great. If you don’t want that much fat, you can always reduce or omit the almond meal.